Sunday, July 17, 2011

Too Kinky for Grindr (?)

So with my recent foray into the world of Android, I have been experimenting with using my phone for all sorts or random things...purely for research purposes, of course ;-)
One of my fascinations has recently been with Grindr and a few other apps which use hybrid location data (i.e. GPS, cell tower triangulation and wi-fi hotspots) to make connections (Radar for Adam4Adam, and Manhunt Mobile, specifically).

I think I might've downloaded and installed the Grindr app a week ago, maybe a whole week, and already I am banned.  Apparently it's OK to cruise random strangers for sex, as long as there is no actual mention of sex, or sexual practices, fetishes or kinks, adult hobbies, gear, devices, toys, etc.   My bad for not reading the Terms of Use/Service or at least Googling "grindr censorship" (TRY IT HERE) before installing the p.o.s.

To my recently formerly new-found ex-grindr buddies, I bid you adieu - parting is such sweet sorrow.

So is there no "uncensored" hook-up hunting app out there? And if not, why?  Certainly there are kinky developers, kinky companies willing to put up the dough and kinky subs (subscribers, get your mind outta the gutter!) willing to download and run the apps, so where is the supply side of the equation?

Anybody got any suggestions? an app they're using and like, or an app in development in need of a beta tester?  I want pics, I want to search and sort geographically and by vital stats (age, at the bare minimum) and it would be helpful if there's a link to deeper content (extended profile, picture gallery, social media or webpage/blog link) allowable or built-in.  It doesn't even have to have built-in messaging, if it would just interface with AIM/Yahoo IM or native sms messaging in my phone.

Am I demanding? Hell yes, sometimes.  Do I get what I want? You bet, every time (eventually).

4 comments:

  1. Try BoyAHoy, Grindr is pathetic and is more of a scam than anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grindr is actually pretty conservative about what can be posted. I tried to use the cover of the Hardy Boy's book "While the Clocked Ticked", and it got resized and cropped to only show the old man.

    I'm not sure how much of the rules come from Grindr, and Apple/iTunes. But then again, Recon seems to get away with it somehow with their app.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grindr policies are in response to Apple. While all of us Gays are worshipping the high design an trendy aspects of Apple, they are busy making open discussion or depiction of sex a thing of the past. When A single corporations standards effect what is allowed regardless of platform, that is de facto censorship and people need to wake up to it and stop drooling over the santitized Apple dick.

    ReplyDelete